Wednesday, May 31, 2017

On Reese Leitao

I don't care.

I can't make a moral judgement on a kid at 17-18 years old. I do think it's extremely foolish of him but all 18 year olds are foolish. He'll get his second chance at Texas or elsewhere


I find it generally amusing how the beginning of the Herman era is starting at Texas ( hiring Baylor staffers, recruits catching  doublespeak) but Leitao isn't my place to speak on. Oklahoma doesn't recruit choir boys, but the reputation that Texas does has been is a product of their machine and own insular tactics.

Oklahoma's warts are public and visible,Bob Stoops has publicly had his neck out many times over the last 17 years. I'm not going to write on the morality of Stoops choices versus the one Herman just made -both men made business decision, both men took a risk. Herman needs that TE for his system, Oklahoma needed a running back, Mixon got out of Norman with little trouble otherwise. Herman is banking on Leitao doing the same thing. That's the risk.

As a fan of Oklahoma, I'm not responsible for the choices my coach makes. I've written, podcasted etc that I would have booted him at the time but I'm not the one doing the risk assesment. Any defense of Mixon has come from the fact that he did in fact serve his punishment and once he was cleared - he owed no one but Bob Stoops - who took the risk on him.

. I hope Leitao makes the most of his 2nd chance. I hope he makes the most of the opportunities ahead of him, wishing failure on any 18 year kid is terrible. I know Herman is wishing for the same.

ring me when he messes up again. - otherwise I just don't care.