Friday, May 26, 2017

Memorial Day -


A decade ago Memorial Day didn't really mean anything to me besides an excuse to hit the lake, drink, and bbq. I don't mean that disrespectfully, but I had been spared that pain - my family has a history in the service - dating back to the Revolution but my family had been blessed to not have that burden of loss.

 WWII,Korea, Vietnam, ODS - came and went without a burden on my family, despite their service. . My Grandfather was the only one who lost friends/relatives in War, so Memorial Day when he was alive was rightfully solemn and reflective. I remember him telling stories of the war ending and going home to find a quarter of his class gone, his cousins dead. I guess once he passed I kind of forgot really? My head up my own ass truthfully

I got reminded

It's weird sitting here writing this - I don't know why I'm actually writing this  but hell why not. We took to each other as friends really quickly in high school - same hobbies, same family situation and a great hatred of our Biology teacher. Friendships in high school are generally a matter of convenience, but once we went our separate ways after graduation on reflection I understand that you were my best friend, it wasn't a matter of convenience.You told me to stay my ass in college when things went off the rails for me. I helped your mother and sister pack your house up when she had to downsize while you on your first deployment.  Welcomed you back and tore up the town chasing women like nothing ever changed. Life was good. We were both getting where we supposed to be in life.

Then you left for on your second deployment  and didn't get to come home

It's insane how fast time flies. It'll be a decade before I can blink. I feel guilty for not checking up on your mom - like i let you down there (don't worry I haven't touched your sister, buddy-honor).

 I think about all the crazy shit you've missed out on and it's just numbing.

So this weekend before I toss some meat on the grill - I'm gonna call your mom and we're gonna talk about you and we're gonna keep your memory alive because people miss you and we always will.